Saturday, March 14, 2015

Ballet etc.

Now that the February break is over things resume here and that means ballet class on Wednesday afternoon. JC and I went with Maya but unfortunately no one is allowed to stay and watch class but I did wait outside until the little dancers went in. The cultural center in Carpentras is located in a narrow street not far from the cathedral.

All kinds of classes are going on there in addition to many levels of ballet. To get to the ballet classroom you go up several floors of winding stairs. Sort of dizzying isn't it??


The stairway is filled with parents dropping off their children and of course the dancers themselves. The little girls lined up to peek in the keyhole of the class before them.


Each class wears a different color leotard and always pale pink tights and shoes. Hair must be in a snug chignon or attached somehow if the hair is short.  As we waited for the doors to open Maya did some toe stretching exercises...see the backpack and my  Nikes next to her dainty, ballet slippered feet???

An hour later class was over and we walked down the street to the car where JC was waiting.

We passed by this colorful display outside of a homewares shop...the fabric on rolls is coated tablecloth fabric to buy by the metre.


and this very attractive, carved door...



 I saw this poster about a conference on Frédéric Mistral:

For those who do not know, Frédéric Mistral is like a national hero in Provence because he created a group of poets and writers who wrote in the Provençal language which was almost lost. This is a very short version of how important he is to the region. I hope we can get to this exhibit. 

After we dropped Maya at home we headed back to our apartment...here is the rest of the house to which we are attached...very typical, pretty provençal house.


That's all for today! Oh...by the way, here is a silly selfie of me with my new fuchsia glasses...what do you think?? (I think I might need a haircut actually!!!)


3 comments:

  1. Maarja, I loooovvve your glasses! We are just back from our week in Paris. Need to catch up on the blog. Hugs to you and JC!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to hear all about the trip. Send me an email when you have time. Bises.

      Delete
  2. I'm diggin the new spectacles...very nice. Sounds like you are keeping yourselves quite busy...I have been fighting a cold this past week, so nothing new to report...even missed class 2 times. No today too...3 times...I guess I need your watchful eye! But Jacquie does an excellent job of guilting me! (Must be her upbringing). So have fun and keep on bloggin!

    ReplyDelete