Friday, March 6, 2015

A short day in Avignon

In spite of the high wind velocity of the Mistral, Emmanuelle and I took the quick drive over to Avignon where she went to the hairdresser and I strolled the streets for a few hours. We are down there in the 110 zone.

I love Avignon. It is a really lovely city to walk in and in particular has a great wall around part of it...

I think the wall helps protect the center city from much wind and I stayed pretty much around Bd de la Republique and la rue Joseph Vernier. As JC was doing genealogy research he discovered that his family is actually related to Joseph Vernier who was an architect and planner of public places in Nice during La Belle Epoque of the 1800's!!
Emmanuelle's hairdresser is on this street so I walked along and took pictures of things that caught my eye. Part of the street...


This little shop had some interesting things in the window...
there were pineapple lamps (on left above) and these very modern cigales sculptures in dijon, teal, turquoise and white. Some Italian too (just to remind me of what I am supposed to be doing !!!)


These two are window from the Olivades shop...dishtowels and very pretty glassware with bubbles in the glass.


A little further along the street is this tea shop...I like the name's play on words: Nina'spoon.


I walked past the entry of the musée Calvet where we went often with Maya when she was small...she could run around in the stone paved courtyard and we didn't have to worry about cars.
 ...I thought you might like to see how incredibly blue the sky is here when the Mistral is whistling about!!!

My walk took me out to the Blvd de la République where I visited my favorite Monoprix and then walked up the street to the Place de L'Horloge with the merry go round. En route I saw this shoe store display...all colors of the Estonian flag!

Some nice bright striped socks for men in a shop on a side street...I am so crazy about striped socks!


These Pylones stores are always so colorful to look at but the wind was blowing over there so I stayed on my protected side and just enjoyed the scene.

Actually I like the way this photo turned out...there is a bit of color in all spots.

I met up with Emmanuelle who looked like she was ready for a photo shoot for Vogue! I regret I did not take a photo in the salon because the wind took care of the beautiful hairstyle as we made our way to lunch here...a darling Italian restaurant in a modern, new shopping area outside the city walls.



See what the wind does to your hair!!?? Sorry this selfie is odd looking...I was trying to make my neck look younger!!! So there you have it!

Here was my lunch...bavette à l'échalotte! This was the lunch special...the veggie in between the tomatoes is a braised endive...soooo good.


I spotted this great poster on rue Joseph Vernier:

Oui!! Color is important here!!




No comments:

Post a Comment