Thursday, May 8, 2014

More wandering

I am enjoying the neighborhood of Trastevere where we are staying. It is a bit funky and has "flavor" and is a bit borderline in some parts. It is a mix somewhat of Alberta St., Multnomah Village and the Pearl in the early days...but older!

Rome itself is really OLD...I mean ancient actually.Of course I knew this before but as we wander about I can see all over crumbling stones, peeling paint and so often the surprise of Ancient Roman walls appearing between more modern buildings. There is a courthouse and I think a jail of some sort in the neighborhood and it has grass growing from between the red tiles on the roof. The painted over peeling paint makes for some really amazing patinas. I think I'll do a color study next...lots of it here!

a street near the Spanish steps:





Yesterday we went over to Testaccio to find a market I had read raves about. When we finally located it, it had been "rebuilt" into a modern, angular structure. To me there was no charm about it and I was disappointed. I think the locals probably like it with everything under one roof rain or shine.
We did however find ourselves in a wonderful delicatessen that could have been a movie set...hams hanging from the ceiling, breads of all kinds stacked around, cheeses, wines etc. etc.





we picked up food for several meals. (Sorry about the blurry photos I think I was doing it too fast.)



We made a huge effort in Italian but finally gave in to the young woman waiting on us when she started to explain things in French.


By the way, we brought home some really delisioso Amaretto cakelettes that are melt in your mouth. Along with all of this for lunch...Robiola cheese from goat, ewe and cow milk; roasted, sliced artichokes in olive oil and some very good bread (by the gram of course).


Now for a little glass of icy Limoncello!

2 comments:

  1. Is there EVER a bad meal in Italy???!! Looks like you found all the right shops! So in a lot of the bigger cities in Europe, it seems many folks speak English. Have you found that to be true in Rome? Or are you trying out your Italian? Just curious too...when you and JC are walking about, are you speaking French or English? Love the pics you get and what you see vs what others see! I'm sure you're picking up all kinds of ideas for your artwork with all the old architecture mixed with the new and all the color schemes. I think it's cute how you bought bus passes and then WALKED all over!!!! You guys are hilarious! Did you buy the lady bug mug? Fave pic: The one of the coccinelle store window with you and JC in the reflection! Do you guys go out much at night or is it not safe? Of course, I ask these questions expecting answers only when you're back in Portland and we're chatting over a cup at Baker and Spice!!! Thanks again for sharing your great adventures! I LOVE IT ALL! xoxoxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete