Saturday, May 17, 2014

Foro Romano

 On our way over to the Bocca della Verita and the Foro Romano we walked over the Tiber which has all sorts of crumbling parts of earlier Roman bridges (Ponte Rotto) and I saw these three sitting and enjoying the cool breeze off the river.
 Not sure if they were Romans or tourists but they had a good idea!


The park near the Bocca della Verita to me looks quite a lot like Nîmes (home of denim fabric) in France with the "maison carrée" like the edifice on the right below:


We looked in through the grill at the Bocca but instead of going and putting our hand in its mouth like Gregory Peck we went inside the small church Santa Maria in Cosmedin which is Orthodox and has interesting walls and mosaic floors...the floor designs look like quilts to me!



These are all pieces of different colors of marble...these are just two of the many patterns on the floor of the church which looks like it is carpeted.


We went over to the Foro Romano and I liked how these candle stick lights stuck out of the side of the building...
in the background you can see part of the Victor Emmanuel Monument and on the left is a church of course! As we walked around the corner I got this picture which I rather like because there is a blue nun and on the right someone in very skinny red jeans:

We took another "selfie"...am I getting better at it??
The area was filled with school children. JC commented: "check out how the girls are all busily taking notes as the guide speaks and the boys are all poking each other or staring off into space!" They were  from middle school!!! 

This is a part of Rome I really enjoy looking at:





These shapes against the blue sky appealed to me...what about that miniature car in the street?? An easy one to park even in the entrance to a museum! Nothing would surprise me here!!!


You probably cannot read the sign in front of the Capitoline museum but it is showing the "favorites" of the Orsay museum from Paris! 

The pine trees make a wonderful canopy above the ancient ruins and the modern street...like a giant umbrella.

We took the #8 tram back to our neighborhood and crossed back over our bridge home...time to slow down a little!

From the street we looked up to see this balcony...there is a net under the olive tree to catch the olives and along the balustrade under the olive tree are fully laden orange and lemon trees...all of this overlooking a busy street below and the Tiber river!

Have a nice day!

1 comment:

  1. Wish I were one of the 3 sitting by the river! *sigh*...looks so peaceful! And I have a pic of the Maison Carre staring at me right now in my kitchen! One of my faves so I love the one in the park and well, the whole park! Can't get over the blue sky and the stone buildings. Can you imagine what it was like in Roman times? The detail and color in the mosaics is mind-boggling. To think it was done a couple thousand years ago! The architecture, the splash of nunly (I think I just made up a word...) and trendy colors, the shapes (the lamp post, the tree from below), the ruins...I'm not sure there's a better way to see Rome than through your eyes, Maarja! And the selfie? SPOT ON! Makes me smile!!!

    ReplyDelete