Friday, April 25, 2014

Friday is market day in Carpentras

I set off early today to my favorite market. It was a short walk to the market and as I strolled along I noticed how the platanes trees have been given a haircut!!! I love their shape when they are all naked like that and you can see their pretty bark even better. You can see in this photo that even in Provence there are overcast days!

I like to come into the market from the ave Jean Jaures which is usually a large, shaded parking area near the pedestrian walk area. Of course the first stand I like to look at has....fabric!!!
Moving right along, after a few minutes to check out new colors and designs I get to the Nougat stand...the scent is absolutely divine!
Of course...don"t forget the flowers, this is spring after all and there was plenty of discussion going on about which were the best ones to plant now.
Then onto the more serious subjects of olives and garlic which is just fresh out of the field. Two women were discussing their recipe for the tasty bulb...I just thought they looked so pretty. I love their radiant orchid color!


I took my umbrella to market but before I got back home the sun was peeking out and Emmanuelle and I headed over to our favorite shopping place....Auchan!!! Yes, its true...we left Miss Maya with JC and Anton and left for Avignon under blue skies. For those of you who have never taken a visit to this huge store here is a picture of the check out lane:
this is really only the tip of the iceberg so to speak!

Our stroll through this place with a very winky wonky shopping cart worked up our hunger and Emmanuelle took me to the most adorable restaurant in the old city of Avignon. Avignon is one of my favorite cities and Emmanuelle knows it blindfolded. She wove us expertly through the narrow streets and after we parked we walked over to Place des Corps-Saints


We had lunch at a "tartine" bistro called Ginette & Marcel whose specialty is a large slice of bread (size of a plate) with your choice of topping...then of course there is dessert and here is a shot of the counter as you step into the bistro:

We sat in the back so we could look at the wonderful decor and look at the people coming in. Behind us was a table of French people with Italian friends so I got some practice with "goat cheese" as the French hosts explained what was on the various slices of bread. I think they decided on foie gras??!! but we went for 3 fromages aux poires (deicious) and tomates pesto (looked wonderful)!





It was a good day!

1 comment:

  1. So much fun to go to the hidden jewels and experience the genuine thing, isn't it? What kind of store is Auchan? I've never heard of it!

    ReplyDelete