Wednesday, July 6, 2016

La grande roue in Avignon

The last day of classes for Maya was Friday July 1st. As a surprise Anton thought it would be fun to go to the big ferris wheel in Avignon for a ride. I visualized myself watching from below with Oscar in the stroller ....but NO! When we got there everyone looked at me and said "you're going too right?" I have not been on a ferris wheel since I was in high school and it really did not have lots of appeal for me but....


Here we go....


notice my grip on Jean Claude's leg!!!!


My first ever selfie on a ferris wheel!!!!
This gave Anton a good laugh!


As I began to feel more secure I could look around and the view was really spectacular!! Also, the breeze off the Rhone river was so wonderful on a hot day. I think I would maybe even do it again!


There is the palais des papes...and the city wall.


The Rhone and a bridge across to Villeneuve.




After six round abouts we were done with the ride...I think the fellow who was in charge of the controls gave us a rather slow ride probably because I looked a bit tense to begin with. At one point they stop you at the top and you sit up there like a bird in a treetop...really pretty amazing!

We stepped off and decided to have something cool to drink in the little cafe/restaurant set up nearby. 



Next to the ferris wheel were these tents also set up for a boules tournament coming up. Of course, this is Provence and where there is some gravely ground there is probably a boules competition happening. Well, besides pastis there is also....champagne right??



I had a menthe à l'eau to drink which I haven't had in a long time....sooo good. Oscar had a taste of it and thought the bubbles were...interesting!



This fellow was waiting for friends with his....coyote??? We weren't sure if this was a husky or something else and he left before we could ask.


This window decoration nearby was really appropriate for me... (Mamie)Coco!!!


It is now summer vacation here so we have been doing mostly things around the house like watching Maya ride her bike around the neighborhood...


Walking over to our apartment with all the bows and arrows made from bamboo clippings in the yard.


Making sure Oscar can carry around the giant basketball he prefers to the smaller Oscar sized one.


We thought we'd have American hamburgers for lunch one day and went to shop here at Choc Viandes nearby. I just had to take these pictures of this incredible butcher shop...you take a number to be waited on and the display of products is quite something! This is the shop with a crystal chandelier!


                                     

We went up to Venasque to check on things there. We are getting ready to be there for two weeks this coming weekend.

The cherry season is still going on but for a very short time and this local farmer has a very nice little "cabanon" selling cherry products right across from the church.



Here's an event coming up in Venasque...to celebrate Belgium's national holiday.


I hope you all had a great fourth of July...here is Méline all decked out for a red white and blue barbecue!! A bientôt!!

No comments:

Post a Comment