Tuesday, May 12, 2015

A nice Sunday in the neighborhood

It was nice to be back from the long drive. We spent the first few days back doing laundry and since the weather has been terrific we had our things dry almost before we got them all clothes pinned out! Sunday was a day to meet in the park in Avignon.




It was Mother's Day is USA but in France it does not come until the end of the month...we decided everybody needed a stroll in the park on the rock (boulder is more like it) above the Pope's Palace.


Maya got to ride the same type of pedal horse that JC rode as a little boy in Nice.


Then there was some gymnastics demonstration on the grass behind the statue of Henri Althen an Armenian who escaped from the Turkish massacre and brought Garance....the natural red dye so prized in the early 1800's...to Provence. Garance is Madder and was new to this area.


Earlier in the day JC and I went over to the market in Isle sur la Sorgue. Don't you love these great stuffed chickens??? They are used to store plastic bags! What an idea! There is so much color in this town!



More colors I like to see!

...and back to the Café de France where we had hot chocolate with Maya on that very cold day back in February.


It was fun to be outside in the sunshine as the temperature climbed. Everyone was smiling but they all wanted to sit in the shady part of the cafe terrace!! Can you see JC in the photo? He is back near the tree trunk in a blue polo shirt.


After the windy and rainy days in Bretagne I was happy to be in the sun...mostly!! Yes, I had on my 50+ sunblock!!!
I found this woman's magenta hair color quite surprising especially in contrast with the gray hair of the fellow at the next table.

This is my cup of espresso...can you read the backwards words on the cup??? I had one just like this in Arles several years back with Betty! They gave us galet breton with coffee...must have known we just got back!!


They have replanted all of the sick platanes trees in Isle sur la Sorgue so the street still looks pretty bare but this poster for the evening famers market was very cheerful.

Here is another nice poster...this one for MacDonald's...they have  a series of them with different shapes and themes around the area. Those are all little hearts that make up the house. Can you see my reflection in the glass??

A pottery studio along the avenue...

Back home near our studio the local farmer has planted out his lettuces


and the artichokes are almost ready for market.



I am going to include a few random photos here because I like them. First a small fountain near the outdoor market in Pernes les Fontaines.


And here...to give you a smile...another great colored deux chevaux Citroen in Bretagne!


Have a great day. This coming Thursday I get to go to Paris to see my cousin. I will have more to say when I come back.

No comments:

Post a Comment